Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Bridge of Peace by Cindy Woodsmall

Lena Kauffman is a young Amish school teacher who has lived all of her life feeling ashamed of the large birthmark upon her cheek. At 25 there is little hope of marriage, and with the mark upon her face she doubts the possibility of any man wanting her. Channeling insecurities throughout her life Lena has become a strong-willed, outspoken women; which is half her problem. When things at school go awry, and with Lena fighting for one of her students, she is at risk of losing her beloved position.

Grey Graber has found himself in a facade of a marriage. His wife Elsie refuses to acknowledge a problem within their relationship, and yet insists on shutting him out of her life. Question over their son's competency only causes tensions to rise higher between the pair. As they finally begin to work towards a better marriage tragedy befalls them.

Despite it all lifelong friends Lena and Grey are drawn together even as their begin to crumble around them.

I only began this book today I simply could not put it down! I have always been fond of Amish fiction, a simpler way of life seems to hold some sort of appeal to me, but Mrs, Woodsmall's characters are really what captivated me. I found all characters, but Lena especially to be fully developed with as many issues and insecurities as anyone else. This book, I only just realized, is the second in a series but I feel it easily stands alone. I did not notice any missing gaps that could have been filled in by a first book, but I will certainly go back and read it. Hopefully reading it out of order hasn't spoiled too much of the first story. This is definitely at the top of my 'must read' book list for friends!

I was graciously given a copy of this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review, but was in no way compelled to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment