Friday, May 13, 2011

Mine Is The Night by Liz Curtis Higgs

An intriguing story that begins with a recently widowed young woman Elizabeth and her mother-in-law who, after the battle at Falkirk have lost everything including those they held dear. Seeking refuge with a cousin named Anne, Elizabeth strikes out to find means of supporting herself and her family. Having a talented hand with a needle she quickly finds a job, but is soon let go.
Eventually, she finds herself under the employ of Lord Jack Buchanan where she sews uniforms for newly hired staff. Romance unfolds threefold and a charming tale of love emerges throughout the novel. I have to admit that I love Liz Curtis Higgs from her previous novel Here Burns My Candle, so I may have come into this novel a bit biased. Nevertheless I was enchanted by the retelling of the book of Ruth from the Bible. For those unfamiliar with the story, the book of Ruth tells of how God aids a faithful young woman and ultimately rewards her. I do not mean that as a spoiler, as the novel is loosely based up the book, but the plot is a tad predictable. That does not detract from the enjoyment of the story, I assure you.

Ultimately, this novel is a lovely story of faith and love that leaves nothing lacking. Or, perhaps it does depending on how one wishes for a story to end. Higgs ties up the story in a neat bow with an ending most will find pleasing. However, if you're not one for perfectly wrapped up storylines then you might find it disappointed. I'd still give it a go though, overall it's enjoyable and a wonderful historical fiction. 



I was graciously given a copy of this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review, but was in no way compelled to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment