Sunday, June 1, 2014

Here Burns My Candle by Liz Curtis Higgs

What I love about Here Burns My Candle by Liz Curtis Higgs is the incorporation of the biblical stories of Ruth and Naomi in a historical Scottish setting. While you can't say it's a modern interpretation, it's definitely a fresh spin on the story.


The novel centers around the Lowlander family and takes place in the year 1745. Ms Curtis Higgs writes a rich, descriptive novel that deeply inserts the reader into the setting. I did have to use the glossary at the back of the novel, a lovely addition, when Scottish dialect was used to supplement the story.


I have to admit that this novel was a bit slow at times, especially in the beginning, which is why I'm only giving it 4 stars. I'm an avid reader, but the starting pace along didn't help this large novel (450+ pages) move along as quickly as I would have liked. Even so, I think its a captivating novel and I would recommend it (and the sequel) to anyone seeking a strong, Christian fiction.


I was graciously given a copy of this book from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review, but was in no way compelled to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment